One of the best known and best-selling club chairs is this piece - the iconic S411 from the Thonet company, which has been producing it since 1932.
The upholstered chair is based on the original design of the so-called spring chair Marcel Breuer, for which W. H. Grispen designed the upholstery of the seat and backrest. After 1933, when the development of tubular furniture began to adapt to the requirements of customers who had already requested upholstered furniture, this type of armchair became a model for many manufacturers, both abroad and especially for Czechoslovak manufacturers. It was produced by all domestic companies (Slezák, Gottwald, Mücke-Melder, Thonet, SAB). In its slightly modified form, it remained the longest-produced model in the production of the company Vichr a spol, later Kovona, which produced it even after the post-war reorganization. @ galeriefunkce.cz
All you had to do was add armrests to the simple metal structure, gently lower the backrest, deepen the seat and increase the upholstery lining. The lightweight design typical of tubular furniture has been retained, but seating comfort has been greatly increased.
- Origin: Czechoslovakia
- Design: Wilhelm Hendrik Gispen (according to the original design by Marcel Bruer)
- Manufacturer: Thonet
- Style: bauhaus / functionalism
- Design period: 1930
- Condition: Excellent
- Renovation: Complete renovation (the original and considerably destroyed chrome was professionally removed and the metal structure was given a new finish, the seats and springs were renovated, the chair was upholstered in natural brushed Camel leather. The wooden armrests were sanded to natural color and then re-treated walnut glaze while preserving the woodwork)
- Materials: oak wood, metal chrome construction, brushed leather
- Color: camel / beige
- Width: 55cm
- Depth: 80 cm / seat 50 cm
- Height: 82 cm